Manager of Youth Media Center (Full-Time, Firehouse)
The Manager of the Youth Media Center is responsible for the development of youth education programs, Youth Channel productions and related outreach activities. The manager also oversees day-to-day activities and manages timelines, resources, staff and schedules for all projects.
Reporting directly to the Firehouse Director, the Manager of the Youth Media Center supervises a four-person staff, participates in organizational planning to further strategic and operational goals and represents MNN at community events.
- Designs, implements and manages media curriculum, programs and community activities for young people, 16 to 24 years-old.
- Assists in certification process for youth producers at the MNN El Barrio Firehouse.
- Coordinates and manages youth production and news teams for the Youth Channel.
- Oversees internship program for youth media producers.
- Works directly with Manhattan youth organizations to produce programming about issues of concern to their constituencies.
- Responsible for maintaining an up-to-date presence for MNN's Youth Channel on MNN's website, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram.
- Conducts outreach to Manhattan schools, youth and media organizations to inform them about resources and encourage participation in MNN's programs.
- Develops and builds relationships with educators, high school and college faculty, and other youth media organizations.
- Represents the Youth Media Center at conferences and other public forums.
- Coordinates application process for youth programs and internships.
- Develops and implements calendar of programs, workshops and special events.
- Oversees logistics including scheduling, reserving rooms and studios, and preparing handouts.
- Ensures staff maintain database with up-to-date information and prepare monthly reports.
- Conducts program evaluation and prepares written results.
- Ensures that staff collects and compiles evaluations by students and instructors.
- Supervises and evaluates full-time and part-time staff working with youth.
- Assists with general upkeep and cleanliness of classrooms, studios, and equipment.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors' degree in communications, video production, journalism, media or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of six years experience in video training and production work in both studio and field production.
- Community organizing or related experience in not-for-profit, community-based, cultural and/or public interest organization.
- Experienced user of social media, including online video platforms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
- Bilingual, Spanish/English a plus
Other Job Requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to working with grassroots youth and community organizations.
- Experience in facilitation with youth.
- Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively.
- Ability to stay organized while multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment. Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage a production crew across multiple productions.
- Takes initiative to solve problems and has capacity to troubleshoot and make recommendations.
Position requires some evening and weekend work hours
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
We are accepting applicants on a rolling basis. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. MNN will contact selected candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
About MNN El Barrio Firehouse
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is dedicated to training Manhattan residents in television and other media, providing access to media production equipment and services, and facilitating the production of programming that gives voice to grassroots communities, ideas and concerns.
The Youth Media Center (YMC) at the Firehouse offers unique programs that educate young people about media's essential role in society. With a focus on media education and production, the YMC offers young people opportunities to learn effective uses of media for advocacy and to produce media about issues impacting their lives. Youth-produced programs are cablecast on MNN 's Youth Channel as well as on social media platforms.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.