Lead Youth Producer (Full-Time, El Barrio Firehouse)
The Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is dedicated to education and production. The Youth Media Center at the El Barrio Firehouse offers educational programs and opportunities for young people to produce shows for MNN's Youth Channel (YC) that are cablecast on MNN five channels. The Center educates about media's critical role in society and assists producers to voice social, political and cultural concerns otherwise without a television outlet. Programs offer young people opportunities to receive technical training and produce media about issues impacting their lives for cablecast on MNN.
MNN's Youth Media Center is seeking a Lead Youth Producer to coordinate, lead and oversee the production of youth-oriented media that educates, informs and inspires. The media is intended for distribution on MNN channels and social media. Reporting directly to the Manager of Youth Programs and Outreach, the 35-hour per week position includes work on Saturdays and some evenings.
Program Production & Digital Internship
- Leads the production process to create programs targeted for audiences under 25 years old.
- Facilitates production meetings and manages the production calendar and schedule.
- Facilitates brainstorming sessions and research for story ideas.
- Organizes the logistics for shoots including schedule, locations, transportation and shot lists.
- Determines equipment needs and makes necessary reservations.
- Identifies crews and assigns their responsibilities.
- Contacts talent and interviewees and obtains legal permissions or releases required.
- Serves as camera operator for designated YC programs.
- Coordinates YC production interns and ensures they gain production skills and experience.
- Oversees Digital Internship program, provides proper training in news/media production
- Provides technical/creative support to youth producers and interns.
- Oversees editing of field and studio production shows.
- Develops and maintains relationships with community organizations and local artists for MNN's Youth Channel.
- Supervises and finalizes all YC productions and ensures quality, proper distribution, coordinates promotion on social media platforms
- Ensures compliance with and implements MNN policies, rules and regulations.
- Updates editing on computer usage in MNN database.
- Communicates with production partners about airing dates and times.
- Maintains recordkeeping related to production activities.
- Maintains general upkeep and cleanliness of edit stations, equipment, and production facilities.
- Other tasks as may be assigned by Manager of Youth Media Center or Firehouse Director.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in media, television production, communications, journalism or equivalent experience.
- Three years + field production working experience.
- Demonstrated production skills including coordination, camera work, and editing.
- Strong new media technology skills and related working experience.
- Minimum one year teaching experience.
- Experience engaging youth in media production work.
Other Job Requirements
- Strong interest in community and youth media.
- Action-oriented work ethic with "can do" approach.
- Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Has demonstrated ongoing learning and currency with issues related to media and production innovations in a rapidly changing field.
- Track record in solving problems with experience in troubleshooting and making recommendations.
- Experience in conflict resolution.
- Available to work evening and weekend hours.
- Training in the organization’s equipment and database usage
Salary commensurate with experience.
How to apply
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please respond to the following: 1) Why are you interested in the position? 2) Describe how you would organize a youth field and studio production. Only fully complete applications will be reviewed. Due to volume of submissions, we may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. Applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis.
About Manhattan Neighborhood Network
Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan’s free, public access cable network. We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run five cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, Culture and HD Community), reaching some 600,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers low cost training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become Certified Producers with MNN.
We actively strive to empower Manhattan residents to exercise their First Amendment rights in an open, uncensored, and equitable forum.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.