Youth Media Educator & Trainer (Full Time, El Barrio Firehouse)
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is dedicated to education and media production. The Youth Media Center at the Firehouse offers educational programs and opportunities for young people to produce shows for the Youth Channel (YC) that are cablecast on MNN channels. The Youth Media Center educates about media's critical role in society and assists producers to voice social, political and cultural concerns across multiple media platforms. Programs offer young people opportunities to receive technical training and produce media about issues impacting their lives for cablecast on MNN.
The Youth Media Educator & Trainer works directly with young people to provide hands-on training and in-class instruction in media production and guides participants to achieve MNN Producer Certification. The 40-hour per week position includes work on Saturdays and some evenings and reports directly to the Manager of MNN's Youth Media Center. The position is heavily focused on teaching and administrative management of the Youth Media Center set of core classes.
Overall responsibilities include:
Education & Training
- Teaches core classes in field and/or studio production to youth participants at the Youth Media Center.
- Assists in developing education and training programs, including some curriculum design and class sequences.
- Assists in planning and implementing calendar of classes and workshops.
- Organizes class rosters and maintains workshop related documents.
- Enrolls students into available classes and updates waiting list.
- Obtains youth documents required to enroll in MNN training programs and ensures training agreements are signed and on file.
- Facilitates orientation sessions.
- Assists students with setting production timeline, compiling and delivering class projects for MNN cablecast.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Arranges logistics for classes including scheduling instructors, reserving rooms and equipment, and preparing handouts.
- Enters confirmations, cancellations, notes, or other class updates in MNN database.
- Prepares monthly summaries of workshops, number of participants and related issues toward continued improvement of MNN media training and education.
- Understands and implements MNN policies, rules and regulations.
- Assists with general upkeep and cleanliness of classrooms and equipment.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in media, video, communications or journalism, or equivalent experience.
- 1+ years experience in media field.
- 2+ years full-time work experience.
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience.
- Knowledge of curriculum development and design.
- Experience in studio production, field and/or post-production knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of new media technology skills.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of HD Cameras and Final Cut Pro 7 Editing Software.
- Graphic design experience strongly preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Strong interest in community and youth media.
- Action-oriented work ethic with a “can do” attitude.
- Exceptional organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative in solving problems and a capacity to troubleshoot and make recommendations.
- Demonstrated commitment to learning and staying up-to-date about media production issues and trends in a rapidly changing field.
- Experience with conflict resolution.
- Track record with keeping accurate and detailed records.
- Available to work evening and weekend hours.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please respond to the following:
1) Why are you interested in the position?
2) What goals would you set in your first year, why would you set those particular goals, and how would you go about implementing those goals?
We will only consider complete applications.
Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. MNN will contact candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan’s free, public access cable network. We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run four cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, and Culture), reaching 620,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers free training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become Certified Producers with MNN.
We actively strive to empower Manhattan residents to exercise their First Amendment rights in an open, uncensored, and equitable forum.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.